Thanks again O’Mally
Posted: 15 April 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2009-01-07

Heard about the new tax we have to pay? “Rain Tax”.

Yep, you heard right citizens of Charles County, beginning
July 1st every Homeowner and Business in the State of Maryland
will have to pay a “Rain Tax”.

This new tax depending on how much rain water run-off your
property produces will cost you between $50.00 - $200.00 for
a residence, and between $500.00 - $2000.00 for a business.

“The Free State” my A$$!!!!!!!

P.S.
Oh, and the why they will determine your run-off is by satellite
imagery.

Posted: 15 April 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2007-03-23

Time to leave the “free state” and relocate to a real free state - WY, ND, SD, or TN!!

Posted: 15 April 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  522
Joined  2007-10-30

Heard about the new tax we have to pay? “Rain Tax”.

Yep, we’ve been discussing it.  From what I understand EPA directed Maryland to reduce the amount of storm water flowing into the Bay.  That takes money (a lot of money—billions) which means….a tax on run-off.  How do you tax run-off?  Exactly as they are doing by the footprint you make on the earth.  A large footprint pays more; a smaller one pays less.  The fairness of it depends on how you feel about cleaning up the Bay.  I want a clean Bay or at least one that can support oysters with a balanced, healthy ecosystem.  So, I’ll fork over my rain tax, but…my question is what will they do with the money?  Will they piss it away like storm water sluicing down a street after a heavy rain or will they actually do something worthy that works to clean the Bay?  I want to see results and I think that’s why folks are so upset about another tax.  They don’t see results!

Off my soapbox….

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-11-24

I don’t get this one bit. So if my house wasn’t here, where would the rain go? Would it magically go to an area where there are houses? This state is unbelieveable. But its our fault.

Posted: 18 April 2013 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-07-09

In 2007, State leaders in Maryland took a bold step in their efforts to restore the Chesapeake Bay with the creation of the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Trust Fund (Trust Fund). The Trust Fund allows Maryland to accelerate Bay restoration by focusing limited financial resources on the most effective non-point source pollution control projects. Dollars for the Trust Fund are generated through motor fuel tax and rental car tax in Maryland. It is anticipated that when fully-funded, the Trust Fund will generate $50M annually.

That’s from DNR website.

What happened to that money?

Posted: 19 April 2013 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Further, what happens to the state income tax $$$?  MD has some of the highest taxes in the nation and is still in the hole, whereas nine other states that DON ‘T have state income taxes are better off financially than MD!  What gives?

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2008-02-06
cheryl - 19 April 2013 06:55 AM

Further, what happens to the state income tax $$$?  MD has some of the highest taxes in the nation and is still in the hole, whereas nine other states that DON ‘T have state income taxes are better off financially than MD!  What gives?

Each of those states has something else of significant value from which to draw income. Wyoming, for instance, taxes pretty heavily natural resource mining because that is what it’s got a lot of. What it doesn’t have a lot of is people (PG County has a few hundred thousand more people than does the state of Wyoming), so taxing incomes on so few people wouldn’t be worth the trade offs. Nevada, of course, gets its money from tourism and gambling. I don’t know all of them, but I’ll bet if you dig into each state that doesn’t have a personal income tax you’ll find something they have a disproportionate amount of that more than makes up for it.

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

True- and TN has Nashville and Nissan and Volkswagen.  FL has Disney, and other tourism draws.  But what about NH for instance?  It s just that it seems that MD is mismanaging its tax revenues..but I don’t know.  Just my impression.

Posted: 20 April 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-09-21

What Maryland has is a disproportionate number of government workers. We do not have enough pay checks comming from the private sector where the facilities these pay checks are generated at pays property tax. Individuals working at facilities that are not paying property taxes still require the same services as those that work at facilities that add to the tax base, this equals additional income tax and other taxes for all. More government programs, more goverment facilities and more government workers does not equal a economically sustainable Maryland. Secastration looking better every day.

Posted: 21 April 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Well said franklin…and it’s only getting worse.

Posted: 21 April 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  522
Joined  2007-10-30

more goverment facilities and more government workers does not equal a economically sustainable Maryland.

You’re talking Maryland, but different geo-areas of Maryland have different demographics.  Here in CC, if we had a rapid transient system of some type, we could bid for any fed and/or state office (or any private company for that matter) that wants to relocate.  You don’t ping on government when it pays the bills here in CC and around the beltway.  It is what it is.  Other jurisdictions realize this and are taking steps to attract businesses whether quasi-government or government or private. 

Companies with highly-educated employees won’t situate where their employees don’t have access to the best whether we’re talking a rapid transient system or schools or forward-thinking ideas.  This is why there is such a fight over the direction CC should take for the future.  Living in the past hoping for a road to nowhere or refusing to acknowledge the importance of a light rail system or refusing to protect natural resources or ignoring the overly-crowded school mess won’t attract any business when they have other choices.

Posted: 21 April 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Living in the past hoping for a road to nowhere or refusing to acknowledge the importance of a light rail system or refusing to protect natural resources or ignoring the overly-crowded school mess won’t attract any business when they have other choices.
—————————————-

EXCELLENT points!!  I just hope state income taxes and property taxes are brought under control somehow- otherwise more people will have no choice but to leave Maryland for those tax friendly states.

Posted: 22 April 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-07-09

Seems like Maryland now relies soley on tourism and government employment. I think we’re down to 2 or 3 Fortune 500 companies. Apparently OMalley and his “court” are okay with that and are having a ball taking more and more of our paychecks. Maryland is a lovely place and where we live is a particularly nice little bit of it, but it is not unique - we can find somewhere else with as many attractions, good services, less crime and far fewer taxes. Seems more and more of our friends are doing just that.