Is it me, or…..
Posted: 30 January 2014 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2010-03-26

Is it me, or has anyone else here in Charles County noticed an uptick in Heroin OD’s? I know it’s prevalent in the counties around us, but I’m afraid it has come to our county and in a huge and dangerous way.

Posted: 30 January 2014 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  2008-01-08

If it’s an “uptick” (small, incremental increase), can it really be said that heroin has come to our county in a “huge” way?

But yes, it’s here. With laws and procedures in place that have begun to ratchet down on opiate prescription drugs that leak to the streets, heroin is available and comparatively cheap. People have physical addictions that must be fed.

Signature 

Fear the government that fears your guns

Posted: 31 January 2014 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2009-01-07

Heroin OD’s are on the rise in the county, and for every one herion OD, there has to be many more people using heroin. So I think heroin is here in a “huge” way along with PCP.

Posted: 01 February 2014 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2008-02-05

THEBAYNET.COM: Three Southern Maryland deaths linked to tainted heroin

THEBAYNET.COM: County leaders hold work session on drug abuse

Posted: 01 February 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-11-24

Its thinning the herd. One addict at a time.

Posted: 02 February 2014 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2009-03-25

and we just had a celebrity today: Phillip Seymore Hoffman.

Signature 

formerly known on the ‘Duck’ as spirit of the elder & BJGoodwin

Posted: 03 February 2014 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2010-03-26

Coyote - You’re right it’s just the law of averages that for every one OD, there must be a lot more using in our county.

Sammy - Thanks for the articles, it’s good to see some counties are worried about the Heroin problem in their areas. Just sad I never read anything about Charles County doing anything about it.

Maria - It’s not the addict(s) like Phillip Seymour Hoffman I feel sorry for, he/they now what can happen. It’s the child I worry about using Heroin, the child that shoots up for the first time and OD’s because they or the person shooting them up didn’t know the potency of the Heroin they’re using.

Posted: 03 February 2014 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-05

THEBAYNET.COM: Jail, heroin overdose deaths highlight unveiling of sheriff’s budget

Posted: 04 February 2014 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-05

WTOP: Dramatic rise in heroin use across Md.

Posted: 08 February 2014 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-02-06

The biggest question is, Why isn’t something being done about it? When was the last time you have seen a report about a Big Drug Bust in Charles County? They always post about a traffic stop with small amounts of pot. It is time to do something.

Posted: 08 February 2014 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-11-24

There is a long list of “whys” with heroin abuse. First off, the country has seen a huge increase in the unlawful use of opiate pills, i.e. oxycodone etc. Once the pills became a popular drug of choice the demand increased and they became more expensive. Now your average “pill head” can no longer afford the pills so they have switched back to heroin. Its cheaper and is an opiate and the addict has their fix. One thing the story doesn’t tell is all the crime associated with abuse. Go to any metal scrap dealer and you will see what I am talking about. The rash of copper thefts and burglaries probably can be attributed to drug abuse, specifically heroin. Making something illegal does little to curtail use. Its about making good decisions, but that is getting more rare these days. Now your beloved lawmakers want the person who reports an overdose and the victim of said overdose to be immune from prosecution. So if the police go to a drug overdose and find a pound of heroin, the legislature wants them to look the other way. Is that the answer? I wish I knew but what message does it send that there will be no ramifications of your bad decision? I guess if it doesn’t kill, they can consider it a bonus.

Posted: 09 February 2014 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-05

THEBAYNET.COM: Drug summit for parents: A discussion about pills and heroin

Posted: 12 February 2014 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-05

Maryland Independent: Uptick in heroin, prescription narcotic use worries local officials

Posted: 12 February 2014 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

After reading the article in the Indy all I want to say is;

1.) Look at a calendar people,  it’s 2014, let’s update your stats.
2.) Addiction is not a disease, cancer is a disease, addiction is a weakness that can cause disease e.g. HIV, liver disease, Kidney disease etc.etc.

Posted: 31 March 2014 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

Just heard today (03/31/14), that there was a Herion OD at the Charles County Detention Center. If Herion is getting into the Detention Center,  folks we have a real drug problem here in Charles County.