Sheriff Coffey: Something has happened, Something misfired….... Should we bring back the lynching tree?
Posted: 11 November 2011 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2010-09-02

“We the People of the United States of America in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice….”

The Sixth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and our Bill of Rights sets the ground work for criminal prosecution.  The Sixth Amendment requires juries to be impartial. Impartiality has been interpreted as requiring individual jurors to be unbiased. At voir dire, each side may question potential jurors to determine any bias, and challenge them if the same is found; the court determines the validity of these challenges for cause. Defendants may not challenge a conviction because a challenge for cause was denied incorrectly if they had the opportunity to use peremptory challenges.

Sherriff Coffey crossed that fine line the night he made the remarks to the Pincefield Civic association meeting, trying to influence public opinion to convict, based upon the premise “We would not have arrested them if they were not guilty.”

Sherriff Coffey took an oath to uphold the laws of this land, to protect the Constitution of the United States of America, Sheriff Coffey gave in to the pressures of his office, which has swayed his opinion of the rights and wrongs of our society.

No matter how we feel as a population, the innocents or guilt of a party does not rest upon the shoulders of the police force, but with the people, the peers of society, this amendment by its self sets America apart from all other nations.

Charles County is changing, society is changing, the juror is changing, the requirements set forth for convictions is more demanding now. Too many innocent people have been proven innocent through DNA and the advances of science. When the convection rate does not go your way, do not blame society, do not ask our citizens to give up their basic rights and find people guilty just because you arrested them.

Sheriff Coffey, I supported your election and your re-election, however, something has happened, something misfired, with your remarks we might as well bring back the lynching tree, for that is what it represents, what you said, and what you feel, truly makes me weary of your ability to continue in your current position, as Sheriff of Charles County Maryland. I implore the citizens of this county to request you retire with some sort of dignity, or cast a recall vote to remove you from office.

-R.R.

Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 11 November 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2008-01-08

These comments are nothing short of brilliant, and demonstrate an understanding of our freedoms that few people today are able to articulate.

Cheers to you sir or madam!

Signature 

Fear the government that fears your guns

Posted: 14 November 2011 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2010-03-26

I too thought that any Citizen was “Innocent until PROVEN Guilty”, it seems now that the jury pool may be tainted. Hope the ACLU doesn’t get wind of this.

[ Edited: 14 November 2011 11:11 AM by Just a Citizen]

Posted: 14 November 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2009-01-07

Wow, what’s next, a secret police branch like the Gestapo or KGB here in the Charles County Sheriff’s Office.

I guess some believe people are guilty until proven innocent.

Even if they’re caught dead to rights, they still have to be tried by their peers, unless they plead guilty.

[ Edited: 14 November 2011 12:18 PM by Coyote]

Posted: 14 November 2011 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02
Just a Citizen - 14 November 2011 11:09 AM

I too thought that any Citizen was “Innocent until PROVEN Guilty”, it seems now that the jury pool may be tainted. Hope the ACLU doesn’t get wind of this.

I know for a fact a gust of wind blew a letter to this address….(here is the address in case any other gust of wind wants to blow a letter….)

ACLU of Maryland
Executive Director: Susan Goering
3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 350
Baltimore, Maryland 21211
Phone: (410) 889-8555; (240) 274-5295 | Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 14 November 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-06-08

It is unfortunate that some are falling right into the trap of believing everything you read in the paper is completely factual and within context.  The few of you on this blog are doing exactly what you are accusing Sheriff Coffey of doing.  You are finding him guilty of whatever you are accusing him of.  It is a fact that it is the responsibility of the State to prove ones guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  In that position, you must also believe that you have done just that when you have or intend to deprive a citizen of their freedom.  Sheriff Coffey knows this as well as all of his Deputies.  It is the responsibility of the Sheriff and his Deputies to complete thorough investigations and collect all the evidence to determine if there is sufficient evidence to charge someone with a crime and to successfully prosecute the case.  It is the responsibility of the courts, prosecutors and defense attorneys to poll a jury to guarantee an impartial jury is selected in each jury trial.  Sheriff Coffey and his office have nothing to do with the selection of a jury.
I have heard the frustration of Sheriff Coffey on many occasions about his disappointment with verdicts not only here in Charles County but all over the country.  Since it appears none of you have had the opportunity to talk to members of a jury after a trial to find out what they were thinking when making a decision of guilt or innocence let me tell you what many say.  They expected evidence to be presented the like of which they see on NCIS or some of the other police shows on television.  Defense Attorneys don’t help when they tell the jury that so much of this evidence is missing when they are well aware that much of the type of evidence seen on these shows does not exist today.  It is all make believe.  Just like the technology shown in Star Trek in the 70’s. 
The inflection in the Sheriff’s voice makes his intention perfectly clear when you hear him talk about the responsibilities of a jury.  LISTEN TO THE EVIDENCE.  Never once has he ever told someone to ignore the evidence.  Now if telling a potential juror to “LISTEN TO THE EVIDENCE” and find people guilty as the evidence would suggest is wrong then what is right?  The fact is that Sheriff Coffey is passionate about responsibilities as Sheriff.  He stands up for victims and simply does the right thing.  Words either taken out of context or importance does not change that.

And just for clarification: The concept of the presumption of innocence is one of the most basic in our system of justice. However, in so many words, it is not codified in the text of the Constitution. This basic right comes to us, like many things, from English jurisprudence. Therefore it is not a constitutional right to be presumed innocent.

In the interest of full disclosure, Yes I am the same Buddy Gibson who works for Sheriff Coffey.

[ Edited: 14 November 2011 06:26 PM by Buddy Gibson]

Posted: 14 November 2011 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02

Major Gibson, I understand you standing up for the sheriff, that is just plain right on your part. He is your employer; after all you would not be back with the CCSO if it were not for the Sherriff. You do owe him your allegiance.

However the sheriff did say to the crowd “My officers would not arrest, if they were not guilty.”

If my officers arrested them then convict, convict!

Nothing out of context, nothing misconscrewed(sp) for there was no margin of error, no miscommunications, in fact it is quite clear. No one is judging, no one is convicting, only pointing out serious allegations.

The Sherriff made a statement of fact, and made a suggestion to the people present, and now that suggestion(s) are going county wide, lord help us if the main stream media pick up on this, who knows it could go nationwide.

This has tainted the jury pool in Southern Maryland, and it is also a total breach of our constitution. This has cast a huge cloud of doubt upon the competence and legal fortitude of the Charles County Sherriff’s Department.

I’m not even going to dive in to the other article in the Indy about “Sherriff is it ok to shoot someone if they come in to my house” Something about using a drop weapon…..AHHHHH. This is my sheriff suggestion to use drop weapons in a open forum!! This alone makes one wonder how many “drop weapons” are used by officers of the CCSO.

These are comments the sheriff is entitled to feel and think… BUT not entitled to represent or suggest to the public or his employees.

The Sheriff cannot by-pass the constitution for his sole purpose, this is the very reason we have these bill of rights——to protect us from this sort of demigod.

I was truly against a citizens advisory panel here in Charles County, but now as I see it, just how do we operate without some sort of oversight committee to protect us? 

Yes, something has snapped, something has gone totally hay wire.

As stated before, Charles County is changing, society is changing, the juror is changing, the requirements set forth for convictions is more demanding now. Too many innocent people have been proven innocent through DNA and the advances of science. When the convection rate does not go your way, do not blame society, do not ask our citizens to give up their basic rights and find people guilty just because you arrested them.

It is up to the court to educate the jury pool as to what are “the movies or television” and what is real life, and only in the confines of the court room or other judicial setting, not in a open public forum.

I personally have been a victim and experienced firsthand of this sort of thinking, dealing directly with the Charles County Sherriff’s Department.

I agree with you on the point of presumption of innocence, not inscribed in the consitution, nevertheless, the presumption of innocence is essential to the criminal process. The mere mention of the phrase presumed innocent keeps judges and juries focused on the ultimate issue at hand in a criminal case: whether the prosecution has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the alleged acts. The people of the United States have rejected the alternative to a presumption of innocence—a presumption of guilt—as being inquisitorial and contrary to the principles of a free society. This is what the sheriff has suggested to the general public, that being a presumption of guilt, no more no less.

The despot has to go. I hope with dignity and a quiet retirement, and not a political nightly CNN Headline news nightmare.

-RR

[ Edited: 14 November 2011 08:08 PM by Rocky Raccoon]
 Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 14 November 2011 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08

-RR,
I could not disagree with you more.  On just about every point of contention you addressed.  Tell me, what law or directive has been given to the courts to educate the jury pool of what is real and what is found in the movies?  I understand this may be your opinion, but it is not based on any legal premise.  When you are confident with the protocol of your investigative policies and procedures, there is nothing wrong with expressing your confidence that we as an Agency which is established to protect and serve do not charge people with crimes unless we are absolutely confident of guilt.  You make it sound as if Sheriff Coffey has some magical power to get everyone to just take his word as the gospel.  You apparently have little faith in our society to have the ability to listen to the evidence and find someone guilty if the evidence is compelling to do so. The Sheriff has not by-passed the Constitution.  He has expressed his concerns which he has the Constitutional right to do, despite your opinion. You state that the people of the United States have rejected the alternative to a presumption of guilt as being contrary to the principles of a free society.  I would agree, thus making your allegation that the Sheriff has tainted a potential jury pool with comments you suggest support the alternative as contrary to what our society has rejected. Thus making the comments you suggest are contrary unacceptable thus mute. And finally, I do not believe in your prediction that what the Sheriff has said will cause discredit to the Sheriff’s Office or the judicial system.  But I guess we can wait and see if a CNN nightmare does occur. I believe we have both expressed our views and opinions to a point of clarity; therefore I will not comment further and suggest we respectfully agree to disagree.

Posted: 15 November 2011 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02

Just the fact, the sheriff has made off the cuff remarks in an open forum, that would suggest to the citizens of Charles County to convict anyone brought before the court, for the sole purpose his officers has arrested them is absurd, and an embarrassment to the office in which you work.

For the sheriff to outright offer advice on “drop weapons” is totally out of line, and I would say bordering on incompetence in office.

I know of no law that requires any court to educate jurors, I was trying to bring up a fact, if the court system feels there is a problem with jurors expatiations of introduced and accepted evidence, then the court system should (key word) educate the jury pool, in a judicial setting of what is real and what is make believe. What is real life and what is NCIC.  I am offering a solution to what your brought up as a problem.

You are right, you and I should not continue in this back and for debate, for I know my opinions are correct, and I know you feel as if your opinions are correct.

Nothing you or I say here to each other will offer any more insight to the issue at hand.

Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 16 November 2011 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

I have a question pertaining to Mr. Gibson, sorry RR for stealing your thread.

Isn’t it a “Conflict of Interest” if a CCSO Deputy goes into his store, and buy’s something, especially if they are a subordinate, seeing he’s a so called Major?

Posted: 16 November 2011 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08
Coyote - 16 November 2011 01:55 PM

I have a question pertaining to Mr. Gibson, sorry RR for stealing your thread.

Isn’t it a “Conflict of Interest” if a CCSO Deputy goes into his store, and buy’s something, especially if they are a subordinate, seeing he’s a so called Major?

Coyote,
Those are some very good questions, but poorly phrased.  I think it would be best for you to contact the Maryland State Ethics Commission to obtain answers you can feel confident are accurate, just as I did years ago.  You can contact them at:
State Ethics Commission
45 Calvert Street, 3rd Floor
Annapolis, MD 21401

410-260-7770
Toll Free 1-877-669-6085
FAX# 410-260-7747

But if you care to trust me, I will tell you first and foremost I do not promote or condone anyone from shopping at “my store”.  Just like I did not and would not promote or condone anyone from going to the bar that Lieutenant Crawford owned on Cobb Island, or doing business with Captain John McConnell who makes very nice frames, or from going to Bernie’s Frame Shop in La Plata which is owned by the family of another commander.  And the list could go on and on.

In fact it would be a violation of several federal and state commerce laws for me in my position to prohibit any individual either a subordinate or otherwise to shop at any business they choose to. 

Even though Southern Police Supply, Inc. is a private corporation and I am not obligated to provide you with any information I will tell you this.  I have zero ownership in Southern Police Supply.  Despite that, the Charles County Sheriff’s Office of which I do have a controlling interest in does not procure anything from Southern Police Supply and has not since I was appointed to my position.

On a personal note, lately since my mother who is the owner of Southern Police Supply and my father have both been diagnosed with stage four cancer and fighting for their lives I have done what any good son would do and help them in any way I can.  To include visiting the store on occasion and helping with computer problems.  All of which I do on my own time and without compensation, except for the appreciation of my Mom and Dad.

Now, do you want to attack me too for missing quite a bit of time at work recently because I too was diagnosed with cancer and underwent substantial surgical procedures which are taking me time to recover from.  Go ahead, attack me. Frankly, I have become accustomed to the old Davis regime raising their heads every so often and throwing mud just hoping something will stick.  Sorry, out of luck this time (again).  And by the way I am not “a so called Major”.  I am a Major and have been for five years.

Yours Truly,

Posted: 17 November 2011 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-05-28

OK, as I’ve stated before, I’m not a Rex cronie or any thing of the sort.  Sheriff Coffey is my boss.  As is Major Gibson.  I don’t pretend to hang on their every word and certainly do not try to make excuses for either of them.  As I hear so often in my day to day interaction with the citizens in Waldorf, they are both “grown-ass men.”  That being said, here is my two cents on the controversy du jour:

The men and women who work for the Charles County Sheriff’s Office are an extremely professional, thorough, hardworking collection of police officers.  However, each of them is human and thank God for that.  Just because an officer has the probable cause to make an arrest, it does not mean that the officer can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person is guilty.  I’m no bleeding heart, so please don’t take it that way.  I can tell you that with every person I have locked up, I can tell you that I believe 100% he/she is guilty.  Does that mean that I have never seen one of my lock-ups be acquitted in court? No.  There are times that the rules of court favor the defendant and the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard can be out of reach.  But, that’s the standard.  I understand Sheriff Coffey’s frustration.  I don’t agree that a jury should “Always convict.”  But, that’s not exactly what the sheriff said either.

Sheriff Coffey said (at least based on what I’m reading in the paper, because I wasn’t there) that when on a jury, you should listen to the evidence and then find them guilty.  Does that mean that he meant that the only alternative is to convict?  I don’t know cause I am not in Sheriff Coffey’s mind and I didn’t hear his tone.  He could have meant “look beyond the B.S. that the defense attorney spreads on top of the evidence and look at the evidence and make a decision.”  But, he said “convict!” And, to the sheriff, conviction may be the only reasonable option.  The sheriff supports his troops and believes strongly in the cases that we put together.  I’m sure he knows we’re not infallible, but it’s his job to support his troops.

In the end, I do know the sheriff and know that he is a strong advocate of justice.  He doesn’t want to see an innocent person found guilty anymore than the innocent person wants to see it.  But, he also doesn’t want to see a dirtbag go free because a jury fell victim to the defense attorney’s dog and pony show.  He’s frustrated at the lies being told in the courtroom.  He’s right that we don’t INTENTIONALLY arrest innocent people.  But, just because the evidence supports probable cause does not mean that the person definitely committed the act.  However, when the evidence supports a conviction, and the “you get a chance to convict someone, do it! Do it!”  I agree wholeheartedly.

Now, regarding the throwdown steak-knife…  “You have to be in imminent danger…. You know I’m joking. You know I’m joking. You can’t just shoot somebody like that.”  Maybe that wasn’t the time or place to make a joke.  But, he said immediately that it was a joke.  Honestly, I thought it was pretty funny.  But, then again, I can separate humor from reality, particularly when it’s bracketed by comments like “You have to be in imminent danger” [good advice] and “You know I’m joking. You can’t just shoot somebody like that.” [explanatory followed by good advice].  Again, I wasn’t there, but it sounds as if the question may have been asked in a joking fashion: “What’s the law in Maryland if you double-tap one of these guys inside of your house?”  I expected a follow up of “if you shoot him on your sidewalk, should you drag him back into the house?”  If the tone were set to humor, maybe the sheriff replied with humor.  Was it poor timing? Maybe.  In no way do I believe that the sheriff was implying that anyone should plant evidence.  I also don’t believe that it takes three doctors (or 54 lawyers or 12 blondes or whatever) to change a light bulb.  No reasonable person (and I’m confident that I can lump 99+% of police officers in this category) believes that it’s ok to plant evidence.  No reasonable person believes that it takes 54 lawyers to change a light bulb.  That’s what makes it funny.  Unbunch your panties and feel free to laugh.  It’s ok.  I won’t tell anyone.

Finally, (you’ve read this far, might as well finish reading) regarding Southern Police Supply… Not once have I been told to buy or not to buy anything from “Buddy’s Store.”  Until recently, it was the only place in Charles County (and as far as I know, all of Southern Maryland) to get certain equipment for my job.  And if I couldn’t wait for it to be shipped or I needed/wanted to touch it/feel it/try it on, it was my only option.  I’ve never seen Major Gibson there.  I found their pricing to be great on some things, competitive on others and way too much on the rest, but their service has always been exceptional.  That’s why I shop there when I do (which isn’t really all that often).  Now, there’s another option for me in White Plains.  I’m sure I’ll shop there sometimes too.  But, as I said, I have never been instructed to go to Buddy’s Store by anyone.  I’ve steered people there for some things though and, I promise, I have absolutely no clout whatsoever.  I just gave advice on where I bought something that I thought was offered at a very fair price.  No collusion.  No conflict of interest.  I do think that it’s funny to talk about it being Buddy’s Store and to joke about there being a conflict of interest or collusion of some sort… but that requires a sense of humor to see and based on the last paragraph, we’ve already covered that is hard for some.

Posted: 17 November 2011 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-05-28

So, to recap:

The sheriff may have chosen his words poorly as he aired some frustration or joked at the wrong time or to the wrong audience.  I believe from the bottom of my heart that Sheriff Coffey is as passionate a crime fighter as I’ve ever seen and believes completely in justice.  He made some statements that have been misconstrued.  They may or may not have been taken out of context, but I don’t believe that message was intended as it is being portrayed.  Alas, such is politics.

And, “Buddy’s Store” is not a conflict of interest if there is no relationship between the Sheriff’s Office and the store and if employees are not directed (or even encouraged) to shop at the store.

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2008-08-01
Rookie - 17 November 2011 01:58 AM

So, to recap:

The sheriff may have chosen his words poorly as he aired some frustration or joked at the wrong time or to the wrong audience.  I believe from the bottom of my heart that Sheriff Coffey is as passionate a crime fighter as I’ve ever seen and believes completely in justice.  He made some statements that have been misconstrued.  They may or may not have been taken out of context, but I don’t believe that message was intended as it is being portrayed.  Alas, such is politics.

And, “Buddy’s Store” is not a conflict of interest if there is no relationship between the Sheriff’s Office and the store and if employees are not directed (or even encouraged) to shop at the store.

You sound like a “Coffey Crony” to me, or maybe even Buddy…

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-05-28

Buddy should be offended that I even be mentioned in the same sentence as him.  But, seriously, I think Buddy has shown enough to by stepping up and using his real name (that even I’m not courageous enough to do) that we can safely say I’m not Buddy.

Posted: 17 November 2011 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08

Why is it that these civil conversations soon get hijacked by people who want to personally attack others?  Now Viper, you should know perfectly well that despite your loath for Sheriff Coffey and his “cronies”, the citizens spoke loud and clear just a year ago when they re-elected Sheriff Coffey by a larger margin than anyone else seeking elected office.  I would even go as far to say that the results in the primary and the general election were landslides that from what I hear totally embarrassed those running against him.
Why is that?  Well if you would just take a few minutes and get outside your comfort zone you would know why Sheriff Coffey is so appealing to the citizens of Charles County.  People like his straight forward talk.  They like his honesty.  They know that without a doubt what drives the Sheriff is doing the right thing. 
Now as one of this “cronies”, which at one time I took offense to being called, but now am honored to have the title of I will admit I support Sheriff Coffey but my allegiance is to the people and my oath. If there was ever a moment when I did not think Sheriff Coffey was being driven by the ideals of doing the right thing, I would resign and make my concerns public.

Posted: 17 November 2011 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02

Climbing up on the soap box…. 

I have to agree with Major Gibson,there is no reason we cannot discuss issues without belittling a member of this blog on a personal level and a professional level, to do so only reduces the effectiveness of productive conversations, suggestions, comments and issues.

To attack on a personal / professional level is fool hearty and childish at best, to continue in this fashion will only reduce this blog to a nonproductive whimpering as if we were all a bunch of snot faced little kids running around a playground tattle tailing on each other….

Please let’s keep this topic and all topics within the realm of civility and professionalism. 

We don’t have to love or even like each other….just everyday civility will do wonders to keep a productive conversation, critique, complaint, suggestion, investigation going and going until a solution is found, issues are corrected and/or explained.

We all have our issues and we all have our respected “sides to a story”, every story has two sides…keep an open and civil mind.

Off the soap box….

Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 20 November 2011 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  918
Joined  2009-03-25

I think Sheriff Coffey misspoke in his passion. He talks so fast in his passion that sometimes like me; the right thing comes out badly.

I believe that. He is a good man. They are hard to find.

I think he has learned from this and believe he has kicked his own rear end quite a few times.

What I do not like : again William Braxton is demeaning the Sheriff’s Department and promoting DISTRUST.

The very thing he supposedly is fighting to amend by an ‘oversight’ panel- the distrust of people towards the sheriffs and deputies.

Yet: the only distrust I have heard throughout the County is from his letters and press conferences denouncing the Sheriffs Dept. He promotes the distrust!

Signature 

formerly known on the ‘Duck’ as spirit of the elder & BJGoodwin

Posted: 26 November 2011 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-07-25
Buddy Gibson - 14 November 2011 04:28 PM

It is unfortunate that some are falling right into the trap of believing everything you read in the paper is completely factual and within context.  The few of you on this blog are doing exactly what you are accusing Sheriff Coffey of doing.  You are finding him guilty of whatever you are accusing him of.  It is a fact that it is the responsibility of the State to prove ones guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  In that position, you must also believe that you have done just that when you have or intend to deprive a citizen of their freedom.  Sheriff Coffey knows this as well as all of his Deputies.

In the past on this board, I have been both very critical of the Sheriff and the Major.  I was a Dave Williams supporter, and one only needs to look at my past posts to verify this.

Politics completely aside, anyone who believes that Sheriff Coffey would seriously advise citizens to plant evidence, or in any way tamper with a crime scene is simply only reading what they want to read. The response to the concerned citizen was obviously in jest, and even at the end of his comment he stated he was joking.  When you are speaking to a group of concerned people, sometimes a joke can lighten the mood.  This was clearly his intent, and I don’t see how anyone without an agenda can see otherwise.

As far as Major Gibson and his store, no one forces employees to go to his parent’s store.  Police Supply was for a long time, the only place where I could locally find the gear I need for work.  Many times it was cheaper to buy from police supply, then to order online and pay shipping costs.  I don’t see how an employee buying something from his family run store, could possibly be a conflit of interest.  Now if police supply was the sole supplier for the Office of the Sheriff, and he hooked it up so that the sheriff’s office only was able to purchase goods through his store, that would be a conflict of interest.

Additionally, Major Gibson helping out his parents because of their illness is simply doing what any good son would do.  I ask what you would do in his position?

Just because I don’t always agree with everything the current administration does, does not mean I am blind.  I see both the good and the bad. 

In summary, if you don’t like Sheriff Coffey and those he appointed as members of his command staff, that is your right as a citizen.  But don’t let your emotions blind you from the facts.

Signature 

Any post by this user is the opinion of the user, and is not to be construed as the opinion or position of this user’s employing agency, nor are these posts made in any form of official capacity. Any posts made are purely as a citizen on matters of public concern, as protected by the 1st amendment under the US Constitution.

Posted: 03 December 2011 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

Ought oh look-out, now the NAACP has gotten involved in this dispute. Doesn’t look good for the home team.

Posted: 12 December 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-08-27

To bad that Sheriff Coffey is considered guilty because of narrow minded smucks.  If you know his record and whats he has done for Charles none of you complaining asswipes would be running off at the mouth.  Give the guy a break not ammunition for the likes of race baiters and the NAACP who will not be happy until the Sheriffs job is held by a Black who we all know never say incorrect things or have no race bias.

This is what is ruining the county, liberal race baiting politics.  If I were a Deputy from what I see I would be proud of the Leadership and we all know Sheriff Coffey’s comments were not as he runs his Department he just went a little overboard with pride and support.  I wonder if he were black would you be up in arms writing to who the?

Its all about race ex-pgers wanting to tranform Charles into the PG #2.  Give him a break and get back to your starbucks coffee, making s__ up, and figuring out a way to make the county the Detroit of the east coast.

You love for trying to destroy a man because of a few words is sickening and assinine!!!!

Posted: 12 December 2011 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

hey-not all of us are asswipes…..  in that manner of speaking…...but I do hope in the spirit of humanity, we all use proper hygiene, including washing our hands afterwards.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2011 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02

I need to wash not only my hands, but a full blown shower after all the racial comments and undertones by Jdman1…I understand anger, frustration, and some racial misgivings, but this is taking it to the Klan level…kind of gives me the creeps… and a skin dirty feeling…ugh…Jdman1 you can say, Black, PG #2, Racial, damn near placing a burning cross on your shoulder, but you bleep out “shit” what gives?...and yes, please pass me a tall cafe mocha…no whip-cream.

jdman1 - 12 December 2011 12:38 PM

To bad that Sheriff Coffey is considered guilty because of narrow minded smucks.  If you know his record and whats he has done for Charles none of you complaining asswipes would be running off at the mouth.  Give the guy a break not ammunition for the likes of race baiters and the NAACP who will not be happy until the Sheriffs job is held by a Black who we all know never say incorrect things or have no race bias.

This is what is ruining the county, liberal race baiting politics.  If I were a Deputy from what I see I would be proud of the Leadership and we all know Sheriff Coffey’s comments were not as he runs his Department he just went a little overboard with pride and support.  I wonder if he were black would you be up in arms writing to who the?

Its all about race ex-pgers wanting to tranform Charles into the PG #2.  Give him a break and get back to your starbucks coffee, making s__ up, and figuring out a way to make the county the Detroit of the east coast.

You love for trying to destroy a man because of a few words is sickening and assinine!!!!

Signature 

-R.R.

Posted: 12 December 2011 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

I will say for jaded man- he stirs things up and the bottom much isnt pretty.

Signature 

Posted: 27 December 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-12-18

Recently I have been made aware of a serious problem with the Sheriff.  He surrounds himself with high ranking employees with spurious backgrounds.  One of his Captains was fired, one of his civilian employess has been fired from the agency three times, the first two as an officer and the third firing (as a civilian) being investigated now because it appears he was not fired, he was told to keep a low profile and work from home.  This is however all just heresay but it is a fact that Buddy Gibson lied to the memebers of the FOP last week concerning a civilian employee.  He told those present that the employee was offered a different job with the agency which is a flat out lie.  Her grant ended and she was offered nothing. And being grant funded she is not allowed to collect unemployment.  In fact her emails to the Sheriff, Major Montminy (now Lt. Col.) and Captain Rackey went unanswered.  Is there no honesty in an agency sworn to protect the citizens of our county.  If the law enforcement can lie in public how can we expect them to enforce the laws?

Posted: 27 December 2011 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  518
Joined  2007-10-30

This is however all just heresay

If it’s heresay, why blurt if no facts?   

In fact her emails to the Sheriff, Major Montminy (now Lt. Col.) and Captain Rackey went unanswered.

Could it be there’s more to this tale than what meets the eye which is why her emails weren’t answered if that really is fact?

Posted: 27 December 2011 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08
Notjustme - 27 December 2011 05:49 PM

Recently I have been made aware of a serious problem with the Sheriff.  He surrounds himself with high ranking employees with spurious backgrounds.  One of his Captains was fired, one of his civilian employess has been fired from the agency three times, the first two as an officer and the third firing (as a civilian) being investigated now because it appears he was not fired, he was told to keep a low profile and work from home.  This is however all just heresay but it is a fact that Buddy Gibson lied to the memebers of the FOP last week concerning a civilian employee.  He told those present that the employee was offered a different job with the agency which is a flat out lie.  Her grant ended and she was offered nothing. And being grant funded she is not allowed to collect unemployment.  In fact her emails to the Sheriff, Major Montminy (now Lt. Col.) and Captain Rackey went unanswered.  Is there no honesty in an agency sworn to protect the citizens of our county.  If the law enforcement can lie in public how can we expect them to enforce the laws?

I beg to differ.  I never said such a thing.  The only thing I said was that the only civilian position open at this time is for a caller taker. When asked what that was, I corrected myself and used the proper title of Station Clerk.  Then there were mumbles in the crowd.  However, I must say that several positions have been advertised on CCSO.US and internal notices by Human Resources in the past six months.  I was never aware until that FOP meeting that this person was seeking continued employment within the Agency.  Why someone seeking employment would not contact Human Resources surprises me.  “Notjustme”, if you were present at that meeting then you know that I did not say what you are accusing me of.  If you were not, then your “source” provided you with bad information.

I work very close with Sheriff Coffey and I am not aware of any serious problems with him.  Your allegations that you call “heresay” is just that and should be given the same level of inaccuracy as your information about what I said at the FOP meeting (which to clarify is not “in public”).  I know for a fact that in the past 30 years there has never been a more transparent management staff in place at CCSO. So much so, that I think that keeping everyone informed of the bad economic times that are being suffered worldwide has created the feelings of killing the messager.  If you have not “gotten” it yet, we and I mean worldwide “we” are in serious shape.  The global economy continues to get kicked everytime it tries to recover.  Millions and Millions are out of jobs, homeless and without any realistic help in sight.  Yet we have done everything in our power to save the jobs of every CCSO employee. We fight everyday for a bigger piece of the pie.  We do this with respect and dignity, and often ongoing “negotiations” can not be discussed until the right time.

Posted: 28 December 2011 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2007-12-18

Then why did the Sheriff not answer emails?  Why does Captain Rackey having beeen fired from the agency have a job?  Why is Bill Winters working when he has been fired more than once?  Riddle me this Buddy Gibson?  The agency does not care about civilian employees. And you should actually not be wearingthe uniform because you are no longer an officer and cannot carry a gun!

Posted: 28 December 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08
Notjustme - 28 December 2011 08:24 AM

Then why did the Sheriff not answer emails?  Why does Captain Rackey having beeen fired from the agency have a job?  Why is Bill Winters working when he has been fired more than once?  Riddle me this Buddy Gibson?  The agency does not care about civilian employees. And you should actually not be wearingthe uniform because you are no longer an officer and cannot carry a gun!

Well, you have certainly given the perception that this is personal.  Despite your anger there is no need to belittle others or present information on this post as fact when it is not.  If my assumption is accurate, it appears that you may feel that you have not been treated unfairly at some level within the Agency.  I would like to meet with you to see what I can do to help.  If you feel so inclined to meet with me, please call me at 301-609-6441 and I will adjust my schedule to meet with you.  In the meantime, I think this back and forth communication on a blog is just not the way to handle a personnel matter.  Thus this will be my last post concerning this matter.

Posted: 28 December 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

Personnel issues naming names on a blog (maybe without there permission) is wrong. I would take up Buddy Gibson’s offer. Im sure the Sheriff didn’t address them in email for the same reason. If you or the named have issues they need to do it privately within HR or if not satisfied to superiors.

Having employed people in grant positions (in social services/ not public safety) I know and they know upon hiring that it is a grant position- if money is withdrawn from funding, so goes the job. That should be understood from the first. Benefits usually are not the same as regular employees for most agencies who cannot absorb those costs, such as health and vacations and holidays; its part of taking those grant positions.

In termination of a grant, money must be found to continue employment. Most agencies can’t do it when budgets are tight If other funding cant be found (especially in a more tight economy or in an agency with no extras in any economy) so goes that position.

In social services- one job does not translate into another as it it is usually a specialized employment. I don’t know, but it might be the same at the Sheriff’s Office.

I don’t mean to be rude- but grant funding has specialized rules and regulations that the public doesn’t know or understand. That could be the case here.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2011 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2010-03-26

And you should actually not be wearing the uniform because you are no longer an officer and cannot carry a gun!

Is this true? As a retired LEO, I’m still licened (in the state of MD) to carry my side arm, and do, and when I was working if you failed to quilify you were put on desk duty, and if you still failed (after several attempts)you were terminated.

Posted: 28 December 2011 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2010-06-08
Just a Citizen - 28 December 2011 05:18 PM

And you should actually not be wearing the uniform because you are no longer an officer and cannot carry a gun!

Is this true? As a retired LEO, I’m still licened (in the state of MD) to carry my side arm, and do, and when I was working if you failed to quilify you were put on desk duty, and if you still failed (after several attempts)you were terminated.

No, this is not true.

Posted: 31 December 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2007-12-18

Buddy, you never answered the question about Captain Rackey.  And why didn’t the Sheriff answer emails?  Seriously whats the deal?  Officer morale sucks and just how many officers have left since Rex was elected?  Happy New Year!

Posted: 01 January 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25

Did my post not answer that for you. Seems to me you are just baiting.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-07-25
Buddy Gibson - 28 December 2011 10:48 AM

Well, you have certainly given the perception that this is personal.  Despite your anger there is no need to belittle others or present information on this post as fact when it is not.  If my assumption is accurate, it appears that you may feel that you have not been treated unfairly at some level within the Agency.  I would like to meet with you to see what I can do to help.  If you feel so inclined to meet with me, please call me at 301-609-6441 and I will adjust my schedule to meet with you.  In the meantime, I think this back and forth communication on a blog is just not the way to handle a personnel matter.  Thus this will be my last post concerning this matter.

Its a trap!  hahaha

Signature 

Any post by this user is the opinion of the user, and is not to be construed as the opinion or position of this user’s employing agency, nor are these posts made in any form of official capacity. Any posts made are purely as a citizen on matters of public concern, as protected by the 1st amendment under the US Constitution.

Posted: 01 April 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Rookie
Rank
Joined  2007-12-18

So rumour has it that Captain Rackey called the corporate offices of Buffalo Wild Wings and told them that if they wanted a liquor license they would have to go through him for security.  This is after another officer had already set up the security.  This is totally unacceptable behavior for a law enforcement officer to lie to a corporate officewhile stabbing his brother in the back.  But that is Rackey!!!

Posted: 04 April 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2010-02-26

News flash.  Rackey transferred back to CCSO Hq.  No longer EST commander.